8-16-09 - Surge in Auto Ads Makes Cumulus Media (CMLS) Perfect

The blog http://theperfectstock.blogspot.com is back with another perfect stock selection. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from the post prior to the last one regarding the selection of Lee Enterprises (LEE). This newspaper stock is up 88% since it was posted 3 weeks ago. With the success of the LEE, I've decided to stay with the media sector because the group as a whole is undervalued and red hot. However, this choice focuses on radio media. Cumulus Media (CMLS) is the next perfect stock.

Cumulus Media Inc. (Cumulus) owns and operates FM/AM radio station clusters serving mid-sized markets in the United States. Also, through its investment in Cumulus Media Partners, LLC (CMP), the Company also operates U.S. radio station clusters serving large-sized markets. As of December 31, 2008, Cumulus owned and operated 315 radio stations in 59 mid-sized United States media markets and operated the 32 radio stations in nine markets, including San Francisco, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta that are owned by CMP.

News

I'm a bit of a sports junky, so I listen to a lot of sports radio on my way to and from work. As I was driving, I made a mental note to myself that there sure were a lot of auto ads during the commercial breaks. After doing a little research I realized that this revelation was a critically positive element in the near term success of radio media companies. The Auto sector is the nation's biggest advertiser, but they trimmed there first-quarter spending by 28 percent to $2.31 billion from $3.22 billion in the same period last year, according to TNS Media Intelligence.

Confirmation of my thoughts came last week in the latest quarterly report provided by the large radio conglomerate CBS Radio. They see revenue improvement in the third and fourth quarters of this year, led by a resurgence in automotive advertising. The government's cash for clunkers program has been one of the main catalysts. Often times the market will take information from the major players and apply it to the entire sector. This news has and will continue to push the radio stocks higher.

Technicals


See below for a 5 year chart of CMLS




As you can see, this stock has been in free fall the last 5 years. We're talking about a 90% decline over that time frame. This chart mirrors the results of practically every publicly traded radio company. When you consider the fact that there has been no bankruptcy talk and CMLS reported an eps a week and a half ago of 35 cents, one would have to think the downside at this point is limited. However, the upside is huge.

Let's take a look at a more recent chart of CMLS. See below for its 3 month chart.


.


As you can see, the nice cup handle breakout has resulted in a move significantly higher the last two weeks. However, the past few days, it has given up some gains. In my opinion this is perfectly normal after such a significant run-up. I believe that this is a pullback rather than a start of a trend downward. Friday marked what very well could be the end of that pullback. The stock began the day down over 20%, but reversed intra-day and finished down less than 3% on average volume. Also, several of the other radio stocks continued to move higher. Traders will take note of this reversal and see it as bullish.

Change in Sector Sentiment

I have never known radio stocks or media stocks in general to be "stock market darlings". Typically, these feelings are left to high growth sectors like Technology and Biotechnology. However, media companies have finally made the adjustment of significantly reducing expenses to offset the fallout of a slumping economy. With revenues having already bottomed and things beginning to look positive again, their profit potential is pretty staggering. A lot of these companies are currently trading at annualized forward PE of around 1. These ratios are just too good to be passed up by value investors and far exceeds any growth story that I can think of. Also, I've noticed in several of these stocks that groups like Goldman Sachs are beginning to take positions. The sentiment is definitely changing.

Sector Rotation


I talked in great length about the significance of money rotating into new sectors on the LEE post. So, I won't elaborate further. However, it is clear to me that a similar pattern is taking place with the radio stocks. Every one of these stocks has recently seen significant gains. The newspaper stocks have been consistently moving higher for around a month now. The radio stocks only began to move two weeks ago. I'm expecting the surge to continue.

Conclusion

We are still seeing some investment opportunities of a lifetime in some severely beaten down sectors. The stock market is a forward think tool. Evidence of an uptick in revenue in the radio stocks is already available. The jump in auto advertisements is the most notable reason for the turnaround. If you wait to see proof in the numbers, you'll miss the significant gains sure to come in the meantime. I picked Cumulus mostly because investors/traders have already taken profits from its initial push. To me, it looks the most ready to make its next move higher. However, all the radio stocks are good. I also like ROIAK, ETM, and EMMS. CMLS currently sits at $1.36. I firmly believe $2.50 -$3.00 per share will be reached in the very near future with the potential to go much higher. Cumulus Media (CMLS) is the next perfect stock.

40 comments:

  1. Card, very nice pick, I've been actually getting ready to get in since Thursday. I remember CMLS as a 10-bagger from the late last year when it ran from 0.30$ to 3$ on heavy insider buying - that's another positive for the future. Thank you also for a very nice analysis, I'll be trying to get in as early as possible. Also look at DIGA (implantable RFID microchips)- very cheap stock with impressive insider buying - the CEO added more a week ago. The only drawback like with CMLS is the low volume.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bighoper. The market looks pretty bad this morning so I don't know how CMLS will do today, but I definitely think it'll be a short and possibly long term winner.

    Thanks for the DIGA recommendation. I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got quite a shake going in the market right now. If we don't recover by the end of the day, I look for DOW 9000 to be a key bounce area. If we get there and a bounce doesn't happen, I think we'll trade back in the 8000's for awhile again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think today is the start of the second surge in CMLS. Only, time will tell, but I like today's trading action despite the low volume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Card, I think with the currently low volume CMLS's movement will depend on the market as a whole. If there is bad overall sentiment / macro news, I think it will drop again on a low volume.
    I am also trying to get into RODM - the pps has been climbing steadily since March (from 0.14 to over 2) and the company has just posted its best quarter ever and the next one will be even better. It may be a 5-10$ stock by the end of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the low volume, it's looking like another solid day for CMLS. Practically every transaction has been a buy at the ask which is a very good sign. If it can maintain these levels for the day, the charts begins to really take the shape of an uptrend again. That will bring in more investors. I still firmly believe the radio sector is one of the top plays now. I actually think it'll be effected less if the market turns south because it has yet to have it's 2 to 3 month run like other sectors. Even SIRI has a chart that's ramping upward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it seems that CMLS is going nicely up, I finally got in today, after waiting in vain for a pullback.

    Card, did you see ASFX? Absolutely amazing run today: up 757%!! I listened to bashers when it was up "only" 300% and did not buy. Did you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. bighoper, I watched ASFX and EDAP skyrocket and kicked myself for never pulling the trigger. I usually don't like to buy ADRs and really high share count stocks, but that philosophy cost me today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. did u sell out ETLY?
    its down a lot , is this s buying opportunity or stay away ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT SIRI AT THIS PRICE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ankeet, I got completely out of ETLY a couple of days ago. I believe there's a lot of naked shorting going on and it's tough to combat that. I may consider re-entering at 10 cents if it gets there, but I figured that there are better plays elsewhere.

    Dave, SIRI is on fire right now, but I think it's moving a little too fast with all those shares outstanding. Clearly, big money is buying it, which is a great sign, but I'd wait for it to pullback some before pulling the trigger.

    The slow, steady rise of CMLS is very encouraging. The gains are very sustainable when you have this type of trading action. This may end up being one of my better selections.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If any of you guys want to see an insane looking chart for one of the radio stocks, check out SGA. It was green 11 straight trading days and 12 of the last 13. I wouldn't buy it after that kind of run, but the chart is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. bighoper, I'm really liking your RODM pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Card, Rodman has been amazing this year. It seems that everyone likes Rodman now :-)
    If only we had bought in the 0.20 - 0.30 range when newspaper headlines were doom and gloom! Yesterday's volume was quite big after they had announced the CTIC deal and I expect that the new investors who got in at 2.50 won't sell until at least 3-4$ range.

    ReplyDelete
  15. bighoper if RODM pulls back anywhere close to 2 bucks, I'll definitely do a post on it.

    Meanwhile, CMLS is still slowly plugging along. The chart is really starting to look nice. All the radio stocks are green this morning (probably due to SIRI's insanity), so hopefully it'll be another solid day. These 10 cent daily moves aren't sexy, but I'll surely take them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very satisifed with what CMLS is doing. No gaps, just nice steady march upwards. Nice pick of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Card, remember BMOD.. look at it today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Aroramax! 50 cents. You must have made a killing!

    bighoper, RODM is just too strong. There looks to finally be some selling at 3 bucks, but it doesn't look to be going anywhere close to that $2 price I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saga Communications (SGA) has one of the sickest 3 week charts I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Card, any takes on Freddie and Fannie ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ankeet, FRE and FNM are moving on nothing that I'm aware of other than short covering. If that's the case, it may be a little dangerous jumping in at these levels although I wouldn't be shocked if FNM has a late day surge this afternoon.

    I think a better play with more upside to ride that momentum would be ABK. It could have a big move if it breaks out of the $1.30 - $1.35 area on volume. I think it could go to 2 bucks tomorrow if that happens. Keep an eye on that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is anybody going to try and trade APCVZ today? It's up 250% in the premarket. When it popped a few weeks ago, it immediately dropped 15% at the open before skyrocketing higher. I may place a limit order at a similar ratio today, but I wouldn't hold this for much more than an hour. This is purely a trade.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw the news on UBGR this morning and decided to take a flyer on it. I couldn't get filled until $0.08. It was spiking huge so I set a limit sell at $0.50, but it never got there (it maxed out $0.45). I ended up selling at $0.25. I can't be mad at 300% in about 10 minutes. I wish every trade was like this and that I had bought more shares!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Card, congratulations. BTW, how did you learn about UBRG, do you use special software with breakout alerts?
    Also look at PNX, climbing nicely up on heavy volume and the 1-year chart looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Still there is a GAS in UBRG??
    Bighoper: What is your target price for PNK? is the short term??

    ReplyDelete
  26. bighoper1, I don't use any special software. Most mornings prior to the market opening, I'll go through the 4 press release websites that 99% of public companies use and see if I notice any game changing news. It takes me about 20 minutes. Sometimes, you can pick out winner and sometimes you can't. Looks like I might have gotten out of UBRG a little too soon. In case you hadn't read it, basic details of my "news finding" gameplan is on my other blog http://yourtradingtips.blogspot.com I'm going to add some more tips soon.

    Looks like someone is in dump mode with CMLS today, but I think I have to stay displine with this one. Everytime a stock in a sector that I own seems to lag and I sell, It pops the next day or two. I've been noticing pops in quite a few of the other radio stocks. When multiple stocks in a sector get pops like that, it usually means the big boys are buying the sector. They usually spread it around to protect there risk. The same thing happened with LEE when it looked like it lagged MNI. CMLS hasn't popped at all yet. I bet it comes at some point in the next 5 trading days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lots of big movers in the communications and media stocks. CMLS fell for the 2nd straight day, but again on very low volume. Owning a laggard on a good day in its sector is a horrible feeling, but it's not necessarily a precursor for a stock's future direction.

    The positive is that when volume does come, it'll probably pop. Also, the sector is still moving higher so it looks like you've just got to be patient with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You guys might want to check out ANSV today. I bought some a little while ago. I think it could follow in TPTX's footsteps. They basically have the same story and ANSV just got a surge of volume.

    ReplyDelete
  29. WAVE was crazy today. You could have double your money had you bought it at 3:15PM (I couldn't pull the trigger). This really shows you the power of momentum. It moved like that with almost no short interest. Simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. did anyone get into YMI in time?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Not me. I almost bought YMI in July, but never made the move.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Going way, way back.

    TPGI finally elevated to a break even point for me today.

    Seems like a solid company, though, and I will get back in if it ever drops into the $1.50 to $1.60 range.

    Good pick, Card. I just held too long.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hopefully, I'll have a few better ones coming down the pipe Tim. I may post another one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  34. card ,
    nice call ABK...did u get a chance to ride or were u a muted spectator like me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ankeet, I don't always buy every stock I mention and ABK happened to be one of those examples. I too sat on the sidelines and waved it goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey guys, keep an eye on the identity theft stocks today. The Bernanke story is getting a lot of press this morning. Most of these stocks are pink sheets and the most notable one is Guard Dog (GRDO.PK). So, keep an eye on that one for some possible quick money.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can't figure it out Dave. GRDO usually averages several million shares traded a day and so far there's been basically nothing. Very unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  38. IMUC, VCRT will be moving up in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete