6-6-09 - News in a Hot Sector Could Make Metabasis Therapeutics (MBRX) Perfect

The blog http://theperfectstock.blogspot.com/ is back with another stock that I believe could be perfect come Monday 6-8-09. With this selection, I'm not going to try and convince you that this is a great company with strong fundamentals. This is strictly a momentum play which displays much of the characteristics of stocks that have performed very well over the past two or three weeks. I've mentioned in the comments section of one of the other posts that occasionally the stock market will set itself up to where it yields very generous gains with stocks in certain sectors during certain periods of time. Once you've figured out the sector and when this is occurring, your odds of making a lot of money very quickly is pretty high. I believe that Metabasis Therapeutics (MBRX) fits the bill and has a good chance to be the next perfect stock.

Per business filings, Metabasis Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company that has established a broad pipeline of product candidates and advanced discovery programs targeting large markets with significant unmet needs. The company’s product pipeline includes clinical-stage product candidates and advanced discovery programs for the treatment of metabolic diseases such as diabetes and hyperlipidemia, as well as product candidates and advanced discovery programs for the treatment of liver diseases such as hepatitis and primary liver cancer.

Although the description of the company sounds pretty dynamic, they have recently fell upon some very difficult times financially. Currently, they are facing a severe cash crunch and are bordering on bankruptcy. A couple of weeks ago, they instituted a corporate restructuring that reduced their staff by 85% as a means of conserving cash. Also, they are seeking all strategic options to somehow increase their capital. Things don't look bright.

News:

On Friday 6-5-09 after hours, Metabasis Therapeutics announced receipt of a $2 million payment from Roche in recognition of advances made on their research collaboration, which is focused on applying Metabasis’ HepDirect® liver-targeting technology to Roche’s proprietary lead nucleosides in order to develop new treatments for hepatitis C viral (HCV) infection. In addition, Metabasis announced that Roche has formally accepted MB11362 as a clinical candidate for development. Although $2 million is not nearly enough to rid MBRX if all their financial woes, the infusion of cash does afford them a little more time to seek other resolutions. However, I think the most critical news is Roche's formal acceptance of MB11362. This news implies that there is indeed value with the company (at least more than the $12 million market cap they are currently sporting) and should aid them in their quest to be acquired or obtain additional financial backing. The market seemed to like it as shares practically doubled during after hours.

Technicals:

Check out the chart of MBRX below:




The stock reached an all time low several days ago at $0.21/share and has responded well with a "V" shaped bounce on increased volume. Because of the volume, particularly on Friday, it looks like the news may have leaked. The intra-day volume for a stock this cheap still hasn't been over a million shares so despite the runup of the past three or four days, there still appears to be plenty of upside. There's only 35 million shares outstanding with the float being about half that (Google Finance says 60% institutional ownership but I deducted some more due to the recent activity I've seen on http://www.mffais.com/mbrx). Such a tight share structure is perfect for a quick runup.

Momentum:

Other small cap biotech/pharma stocks like MBRX's have been on fire as of late. Individual names have bounced off their 52 weeks lows and surpassed their 52 week highs in less than a week. HEB, AGEN, and SOMX are just a few names that have seen unprecedented leaps in the their share price in a very short time frame. However, the best example of the craziness in this sector was what happened with Xtent (XTNT) just this past Thursday. Ironically, the makeup of XTNT is very similar to MBRX. Both are biotechs on the brink of a collapse with similar floats. XTNT too was struggling around its 52 lows when it released in my opinion a relatively unimpressive press release by industry standards. It stated that the company had conditional approval from the FDA for an Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) authorizing it to begin its clinical program. On this news alone, the share of XTNT jumped from $0.30 to $2.69 in two days. When investors/traders see this kind of action in a sector, they definitely take note and stay on the lookout for the next best thing.

Insider Trading:

Part of the reason why this stock has taken a beating is because mutual funds and institutions have recently been dumping the stock at a high rate. However, in spite of the company's slide over the last year, there has been no insider within the organization that has sold. As a matter of fact, the CEO began accumulating shares back during Nov. 08 between $0.49 and $0.75.

Conclusion:

Moves in this sector have been explosive and I expect MBRX to follow a similar pattern. I believe the after hours trading Friday was just a precursor for things to come Monday. Usually, a massive move in the premarket is a bad sign for someone trying to chase as stock; however, XTNT also doubled in the premarket before its run. Had you bought during the open after the aggressive premarket buying, you still could have made 4 times your investment. Right now, MBRX sits at $0.36/share. As far as a trading strategy, I would think that anything under $0.70/share would be a decent entry point. Be on the look out for a quick spike during the first 10 minutes of trading followed by a possible drop as some take quick profits. If this happens, an ideal place to buy would be after that first big dip. This was an $8 stock less than two year ago and has a 52 week high of over $2.00 share. So, the upside is huge. It could hit at least $1.50/share Monday if things go well, but nothing is a guarantee. All you can do as an investor/trader is put yourself in the best position to let the market work for you. I wouldn't hold this long term due to fears of dilution, but I'd take what I could get on Monday. Because of news, sector precedence, and a favorable share structure, Metabasis Therapeutics (MBRX) has the goods to be the next perfect stock.

60 comments:

  1. This does look like a good pick, and is some one the same reasons I am now heavily invested in CUR. CUR should have FDA approval for trials to cure ALS soon. The impact of the therapy here should be huge. What do you think of CUR? I think it could be huge? Just wanted to get your opinion since you have done so well picking this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. jsd, you may not have seen it, but responded to your question about CUR on one of the other posts. Basically, I think CUR is definitely one to follow especially if the stem cell stocks turnaround. With the exception of GERN and CYTX, the sector has been hammered recently. Last week was the first sign of life for the group in 3 or 4 months. If stem cell stocks in general improve, I think CUR could be a nice pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Card, this is already up 90% pre-market ... You still think its will go higher?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gin Vite - Not to be rude, but did you read his entire post?? He explains all of his thoughts very clearly with regards to early spikes, entry points, etc..

    With utmost respect,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh, yes now i see .70 entry .. went passed this within seconds... Anyways good call Card, my account was locked anyways

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know if this thing would open below 70 cents but it did so there may or may not be that big dip I was anticipating. The next strategy is to wait until the stock levels out a little. A lot of times these low floaters will trade sideways for an hour or 2 and then explode upward as the hedge funds pile in. Key spike times are usually 11AM, 12PM, and 2PM. Good luck guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already made a nice lil' profit off of this one. Caught it at the open and got out around .95... great call card! A big dip does appear to be taking place now.. I'm like a vulture at the moment... hoping it does go down around .70 and show signs of a bounce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice play JeffB! It looks like we may be hitting that leveling out phase now. If we can maintain these levels for an extended period, the hope is that our deep pocket buddies can take this to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come on Card... don't tease us like that!! What were you going to say?? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My thoughts have been/are in line with yours Card. I'm not sure we'll see the .70, but perhaps high .70's will be the point at which the big dogs jump in and take us for another lil' ride.

    Thanks again for all that you do Card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your input on CUR. I just bought into this one and think it is a good company. No for daytrading, just a good long term investment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I should've bought in in the morning and sold at the spike, but didn't, bought in on the dip... Been holding steady for a few hours now, do we really expect another run at this? Or should I be looking to break even at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Askani, this is classic intra-day trading. We're at that small risk/ high reward stage. You always have to be prepared to lose a little if you want to make a lot. If you sell now and this spikes late in the day, you'll kick yourself. If you're getting antsy, set your stop at about 72 cents, forget about it, and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you think that MBRX will have a short run-up in the early AM tmrw?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What about SPNG? That stock is going up like a rocket. Any comments? I know you are talking about MBRX, but I bought SPNG a few days back. . . I have NEVER in all of my life seen so much hype behind a stock before! PLEASE calm me down. Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rishi, to be honest it's 50/50 right now. I'd monitor the last 30 minutes of trading. If it's flat or positive, it's worth the gamble. If it's bad, cut your losses and move on. There's no guarantee either way though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. juggernaut, I've been looking for an entry into SPNG for the past 4 days after it hit 5 cents, but it just keeps going higher and higher while I wait on the sidelines for a pullback. The only thing I really dislike about the company is all the outstanding shares. If they do a reverse split and get listed on a a legit exchange, it could go to the moon. It sort of has a CROX 2007 feel to me. Sorry, it sounds like I might be talking you back on the ledge :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why are they issuing so many shares? Why does this have you worried? Anyway friend, I enjoy reading your posts. You seem like a real honest person, and it's alot harder to find one of those nowadays, than a CROX. Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Let me throw a question out at everyone here on the blog. Thus far, Card has shown a certain aptitude with his picks. They've effectively been very reliable, even if it is within a limited timeframe. Has anyone else here encountered any additional sources that has shown such a reliability rate? And if so please share...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is anybody seeing what's happening to JAZZ today? I'm kicking myself for not at least nibbling at $1.71/share this morning when I had the chance in the premarket. As I write, it's kissing 5 bucks.

    This is a perfect example of why we're in this stock market game. MBRX could have just as easily done the same thing. That's why I always tell people to not get discouraged if they lose on a couple of trades. Eventually you'll catch a big fish.

    I hope you guys have your "powder" ready the next two weeks. It's the end of the quarter and things are going to really get wild.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Card -- it's hilarious that you posted b/c I was gonna ask you the same thing.. I got in at 2.42 hoping to make a cpl hundred -- instead I made a whole lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice call Rishi! I'm green with envy. I ended up buying DAN and BPUR early this morning instead. DAN looks to have topped out for the day, but could turnaround if the market finishes strong. BPUR hopefully will be my ace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Card -- If you play hold'em regarding BPUR you caught the straight on the river!

    ReplyDelete
  26. has anyone looked at SPNG? Lot of activity esp. today..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I asked Card about that the other day. He says, "It reminds him of CROX." Yet, I say, "Didn't CROX hit $60.00?" Sorry. . .70. . .or so. . .before crashing?

    ReplyDelete
  28. SPNG is now at 20 cents, not $20.00. Comments?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yet, it could definately be at 13cents tomorrow, so I see Card's point. Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rishi, SPNG would have been a great buy about a week ago, but I just can't see how it can maintain this current pace. Then again, I said the same thing last week and it keeps going higher. To me, it's just too risky at these levels. I think it's skyrocketing because rumor has it that a Walmart deal will soon be announced.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If anyone's looking for a quick flip, ONFI.PK could hit 20 cents tomorrow. I would definitely buy it today. There is a strong chance that tomorrow's move will be just as big as today's.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I read that on another blog today. Card. . . Can you please give an idiot like me some reasoning for this. . . We still have time to buy! I also just sold SPNG.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I missed it. If it's legit, I'll be buying a ton tomorrow morning. Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am sorry. I can't make idiotic decisions that fast. That's just too fast!! ONE DAY GAIN was around 1,500%. Wow! I have NEVER seen anything like that before- ever. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  35. juggernaut, I tried to buy ONFI this morning in the low .02's, but could never get filled. I ended up buying around lunchtime just under 5 cents. What drew me in this morning was a bottoming chart, news, and a low float. Basically, the same things I preach on the blog.

    Based on the chart, there isn't any resistance until around 20 cents. So, it should gap up nicely tomorrow especially with all the PR it'll get tonight and tomorrow morning. I didn't even consider selling with all the profit taking the last 20 minutes. I think it's worth the gamble to hold overnight. If the right momo follows behind it, 40 to 50 cents is possible. You just never know. That's why "you have to be in it to win it".

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yo card, wtf is up with that last huge buy at .0204 .. how did this go through?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Card, you should have bought this last week then! He he he. . . Anyway, I don't see how I can get in for a decent price tomorrow if it was all ready hard for you to purchase this morning. If I buy, I'll be buying way too high! IF you were in my shoes what would you do? Anyway, let's get believing in the big money when these stocks haven't even popped yet! That's when you want to buy this stuff. . . But, oh well. I bought SPNG way too late at 5 cents, I then found myself selling today at 22 cents or whatever. I took a risk, because I saw that it was a revenue making company. The bottom line is this company says they will be making 20 million with this new technology, and I believe them. This is the EXACT SAME thing that had me so excited about SPNG. Where do you see this company in three years? I am serious here. We invest a little bit differently. . . I all ready know. But, seriously. Where do you see this company in three years time. . If I buy a ton tomorrow and it goes down. . I won't be selling. Give me some expertise here. You rock Card! Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  38. People are also saying this is a fraud. One more thing I noticed is that there are absolutely no more shares to buy. What do you make of all of this?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gin Vite, I don't think that was a real trade. You see things like that sometimes, but I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

    juggernaut, regarding tomorrow, it depends on how much of a gambler you are. You can tell the shares are mostly gone, but a lot of people took profits the last 20 minutes so some should be available in the morning. I'm expecting/hoping the following will happen:

    The stock should gap up nicely and a few people will sell right at the open. I believe the stock will churn in a relatively tight range until the shares dumped late yesterday and first thing in the morning are eaten up. Then, there will be a huge spike as the MMs do whatever they can to get more shares. I think they let it run to 40-50 cents. At that point, you want to sell. This is the scenario that happen with SFIO around a month ago and I see a lot of similarities.

    After this thing settles down a couple of days later, it is at that point that you consider starting a long term position. At this time I don't really have an opinion regarding ONFI's long term prospects. I'll have to study the company more to do that, but on the surface it appears undervalued at this current level.

    ReplyDelete
  40. If it's legit or if it's a scam, time will tell. I see NO REASON to buy tomorrow, especially after ONFI went up so much today. If I buy things like this, I buy legitimate companies after I have checked EVERYTHING through and through. Even though I made a ton on SPNG, I look at it as a mistake. I won't be doing that kind of quick flip EVER again. I am still learning. Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  41. After sleeping on it. . .
    If everything ONFI says is legit, then I see NO REASON why not to buy this stock in mass quanity once it becomes available to do. Right now you could only buy a few shares, so I don't see it worth my time. It may just be the next Verizon or something. What do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Today's stock on my radar is CRXX. News, approx. 20 million float, and no technical resistance past $1/share until you hit $3/share. It's around $1.15 in the premarket now. You could see a 200% move today under the right conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  43. i like the news is crxx still a good buy? it hasn't made a big move yet

    ReplyDelete
  44. smsm, Although CRXX is up for the day the intraday trend is down right now. I wouldn't buy until there's a definitive change in its direction.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Card,

    What discount broker do you use? Scottrade won't even let me buy ONFI.

    ReplyDelete
  46. juggernaut, I use Banc (that's right a "c" instead of "k" in case you aren't familiar with them) of America. It's Bank of America's investment services arm. They work okay. I'm charged 7 bucks a trade.

    ONFI didn't quite workout like I had hoped. People got nervous during the early coiling phase and then stops got taken out. I could have made a lot more had I sold yesterday, but I still made a profit.

    ReplyDelete
  47. did some intra-day stuff in ONFI , btu damn is till dream of the money i could have made if i saw this on yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  48. did anyone see SVNT. I bought options on this one last week but sold them away thinking I was losing way too much theta on them as days passed..today was the day i would have made a lot of money on it. DAMN !!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Don't worry about it Ankeet. I'm sure you'll make it up later. You seem to have a pretty good eye.

    juggernaut, I value your opinion as well. If you follow SPNG you also probably know about WNBD. Do you think getting WNBD now is like getting SPNG at 5 cents? The charts and story seem pretty similar at first glance.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am a real lousy investor Card. If you ask me, I NEVER would have sold SPNG when I did, but I was compelled by people who know ALOT more than me! (including you. . . so I owe you one). Then again, I bought ALOT of NVAX when you told me to buy it, and I NEVER sold when it went down. NOW the swine flu is getting even worse, and people are thinking little or nothing about it. What am I really trying to say here? I have NO IDEA what I am doing yet, and I have read . . . studied. . . so much. It is like the more I know, the less I am finding out I really do know. So, I don't know much of anything. I really wish I did, but I don't! Do you want to hear something funny? At the beginning of the bull market, I have begun shorting NFLX. Is that hillarious or what? But, I drive down the street and I see video store after video store closing. Oh yes, I know, NFLX is working on streaming video. They are doing ALOT of other things as well. But, I am still shorting it! Why? I shorted CROX last year and this gave me a X60 to invest at the beginning of this new bull. You ask me, you were 100% right about SPNG. It is a fad just as I believe rubber flippers or sending DVDs in the mail are fads? Me? I invest like Buffet. I like finding cheap, cheap companies the I know and understand. WNBD I do not get. Why? I just don't understand their business model yet, so I couldn't give you an honest opinion. All I know is keep at it Card! I am serious. Keep studying and don't ever be afraid to try something new. Me? I am going to bed. I have nothing but good to say about you, because you invest the direct opposite of the way I do. I don't pay attention to the news at all, but I basically am an accountant by trade. Therefore, I look at balance sheets and income statements, not graphs. Yet, good ideas like IGNT come along and I invest. Okay? Is SPNG a good idea? I say if it really takes off like CROX did short it when it is at $60.00. Now? I don't know! Okay? IF I invest in it again, I will tell you. Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Card,

    I did buy back SPNG back yesterday when it fell so hard, but I didn't think it would be fair to tell you.

    Why?

    It has all ready doubled, so I guess if it goes below 7, I would buy more. Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  52. card, what is your take on eddie bauer? You called PIR, do you see the same situation or a very different one? I'm holding some stock and trying to decide whether to unload. Did you buy any Eddy?

    ReplyDelete
  53. juggernaut, I tried to buy SPNG on the bounce Friday as well, but couldn't get filled. I wanted in at around 9 cents, but it moved to faat for my apparently late limit order. I decided if I couldn't get it that cheap then I'd let it go. I did start a small position in WNBD in case it becomes SPNG-like as a stab in the dark until I do more DD.

    jsd, EBHI does have PIR potential. However, because of all the BK talk, my preference is to wait until I hear some good news before I consider buying. I think the magnitude of any sort of recovery in a name like Eddie Baurer will yield plenty of opportunity for people to chase. Another less notable name with a similar circumstance and potential is PLI. You should here something on that one soon as well. I'm just too chicken to buy before I know if either will make it.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Did you see what was going on with NEPH today?

    ReplyDelete
  55. aroramax, I actually missed NEPH. It's been smoking for past 3 or 4 weeks or FDA approval speculation. However, this is a perfect example of what can happen when you hold fast moving, low float stocks that get too hot. When someone dumps out of the blue, stops get taken out and you get a massive drop. Did you happen to get any on the bounce for some quick profits?

    ReplyDelete
  56. i got in at .95 during the extreme drop.. holding at 1.40 -- thinking perhaps the decision will come this week or perhaps much later... btw, congrats on Winning Brands. It was on fire today.

    ReplyDelete
  57. If anyone's looking for a quick flip today, check out OCLS. It's got the following going for it: nice news today, low float, it's been down the last 5 trading days so bounce potential, and most people still remember how quickly it moved up just a couple of weeks ago so it's a good chance that daytraders will pile in.

    ReplyDelete
  58. LFBG is the other play for today. It's moving up quick, but 25 cents is not out of the question with Walmart news!

    ReplyDelete